Take a walk on the healthy side
An activity as simple as walking can provide countless health benefits. Walking is a simple task that requires minimal equipment and time. A brisk 30 minute walk a day can allow for the following benefits to be observed.
- Healthy weight maintenance
- Disease prevention
- Gains in muscle and bone strength
- Endurance improvements
- Stress reduction
- Improved mood
- Balance improvement
- Improved immune system
To get the full benefits of a walk, take special consideration to the following:
- Gear: The proper footwear and clothes can make a big difference in the quality of your walk. Shoes with good arch support and cushion to absorb shock can help prevent injuries. Choose clothes that are comfortable and weather appropriate.
- Technique: Good walking posture includes a relaxed back and shoulders, your head held high, a slight bend in your arm swing, tight stomach muscles, and your feet moving from heel to toe.
- Course: Plan where you will go for your walk and change your routine up!
Walking does not have to be done in one 30 minute bout. Walking briskly for 10 minutes 3 different times a day can also be done. Simple decisions such as taking the stairs, walking to the grocery store or your neighbor’s house can incorporate additional walking into your daily routine. If you find it difficult to stay consistent and build a routine, try walking at the same time every day or finding a walking buddy to hold you accountable.
Set goals and reward yourself when your goals are met! Examples of goals include walking one block further every day, walking a little faster every day, or increasing the time spent walking. Rewarding yourself can include things like buying new workout gear, planning a mini vacation, or maybe getting a new fitness tracker!