COVID – 19 Update at ExercisAbilities April 8, 2020
COVID – 19 Update at ExercisAbilities
Hello valued client! It has been a whirlwind for a few weeks now as we decided to step back and close temporarily to prevent the spread of COVID 19 and reassess how we could proceed to provide care in this new reality.
I am happy to report that active clients and participants should be getting a call either last week or this week to restart your therapy with a few options. As we want to honor your personal choices for social distancing and any risk that you have in consideration, we are offering the following choices depending on your specific insurance policy rules and regulations:
- Telehealth via TheraLink Software for Video communication
- In clinic*
- In Home* **
Each person will have differing offers depending on insurance rules. In MN, PT, OT, SLP and DHS waiver services can be delivered in any one of these three options. However, our insurance program is set up that each individual company and policy can set up their own rules. It has been a lot to navigate, but we have figured out the rules and will offer the mode that is available to you. Unfortunately, Medicare and the VA have the strictest policy, and at this time, they will NOT cover video telehealth provided by PT, OT or SLP.
*What are we doing in our clinic and with home visits to protect our staff and clients from COVID 19? We are providing diligent cleaning and use of PPE according to Universal precaution and CDC guidelines. We will:
- Have all staff wear cloth with paper lining face masks at all times in the clinic
- Recommend that all clients also wear face masks from home
- Wash our hands many times a day and between care
- Ask all clients to use hand sanitizer or wash hands in front of us prior to session starting
- Vigorously clean treatment rooms with approved sanitizer between care
- Isolate treatment areas for only one client at time within a closed-door room or in a 20-foot square area
- Limit use of shared exercise equipment
- Limit the number of clients in the building at one time to 6
- Wear newly clean, easily washable clothing and ask clients to do the same
- Close our lobby to any visitors. All visitors will wait in their car unless medically necessary to accompany. Accompanying caregivers will travel with the client.
- Ask clients to wait in their car until their appointment time, call our office to let us know you are here, and we will come get you and bring you to your car on return
- Dedicated technical staff to clinicians to assure compliance to the above
- For home visits, we will wear a mask, shoe covers, and cleans our hands thoroughly with hand sanitizer before entering. We will also not bring any outside equipment or bags into your home.
During this time, we ask that you limit your conversations with our desk staff to beyond the chair barrier and prefer that you call to follow up with them on future appointments.
Though, as detailed by the CDC, we cannot promise with 100% certainty that COVID – 19 will not be spread during your visit, we feel that we are going to do a great job in limiting your risk of exposure during your visit. As a therapist to client cannot always maintain social distance of 6 feet during a session, we ask that you understand that by agreeing to onsite or in home care, there will be times that your therapist must stand close to you or touch you in the delivery of PT, OT SLP, or one on one therapeutic health services. Telehealth services are available for those who chose to stay home at this time, unfortunately except for any one with Medicare or VA primary insurance. If you chose to forgo therapy at this time, you will not have any penalty held against you and you can connect with us when you do feel comfortable with either in home or in clinic care.
**Home Care is only available for those living in Olmsted County or near your therapist’s home address.
Thank you again for choosing ExercisAbilities for your care. We are essential health care and have the duty to keep you healthy during this time and to help alleviate stress on the medical system. You are why we are here!
Melanie Brennan, Founder and CEO along with the EA Staff
Got questions? Call us at 507-259-7570 and we are here to help!